10. Project SetsunaEven with Final Fantasy XV absent, Square Enix still has plenty of JRPGs at E3 2015. One of which is Project Setsuna, the first game coming out from the Tokyo RPG Factory. The concept artwork shown so far are very intriguing, especially for old school fans of the genre. With a planned 2016 release, enthusiasts should hear more about the project in the near future.
9. World of Final FantasyAnother Square Enix announcement that occurred at the event was World of Final Fantasy. This new JRPG mixes the characters and lore of the Final Fantasy franchise with some fresh ideas, such as the ability to shrink or grow by using the stacking ability. With the unique toy-like graphics, the spin-off should please both new and old fans of the role-playing series.
You can preorder World of Final Fantasy, which is expected to come out next year, with this page on Amazon.
8. Nier 2One of the most surprising announcements at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo was Nier 2. While Nier was a cult hit, it has some issues when it came to gameplay. Fortunately, Square Enix is teaming up with Platinum Games to handle the game portion for the action JRPG, leaving the story to the original creators. This collaboration seems like a match made in heaven, especially for fans of the first game.
You can reserve the tentatively-titled, Nier 2, which currently does not have an official release time frame, here.
7. Genei Ibun Roku #FEGenei Ibun Roku #FE, previously known as Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, was heavily featured at Nintendo’s Treehouse live stream show. The gameplay combines the strength and weakness systems from both Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem franchises to create a somewhat unique JRPG set in Shibuya of Tokyo. Fans of both RPG series should be able to enjoy the long-awaited crossover videogame.
Nintendo is expected to release the tentatively-titled Genei Ibun Roku #FE for the Nintendo Wii U in 2016.
6. Star Ocean: Integrity and FaithlessnessStar Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness was officially confirmed for western localization at E3 2015. The development team will be fixing some of the issues, mainly the amount of cut scenes, that plagued The Last Hope. Not to mention that they will further expand on the fast-paced, real-time combat system with more than six active party members. So it looks like the fifth installment of the series is in good hands.
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness is coming out exclusively for the PlayStation 4 in 2016. Pre-purchase the JRPG with this link.
5. Xenoblade Chronicles XAlong with another impressive showing. Nintendo finally confirmed the North American release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is coming out on the 4th of December, at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo. If you haven’t seen much of the game, you will be able to explore an unique and massive world (eventually, you will be able to use giant mechs as well). So, if you are a fan of the first game, you should most likely enjoy the second installment of the series as well.
You can preorder Xenoblade Chronicles X on Amazon with this page.
4. Final Fantasy VII RemakePerhaps the biggest announcement at E3 2015, Square Enix finally announced the remake for Final Fantasy VII at Sony’s press conference. Game Director Tetsuya Nomura has stated that the graphics should match those of current-gen games while the gameplay will be changed to reflect more realism. Hopefully, all of these changes will make what is already an excellent game much better for the modern audience.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming out first for the PlayStation 4. You can reserve it here.
3. Kingdom Hearts 3The last of the surprises from Square Enix at E3 2015 was a new look at Kingdom Hearts 3. The company confirmed that Tangled will be one of the new worlds introduced in the sequel. A new trailer also showed off the expansive size of the areas in addition to a multitude of combat options, including special Keyblade attacks and being able to summon amusement park rides. Hopefully, we don’t have to wait too long to see the game finally come out.
You can pre-purchase Kingdom Hearts 3 via this link.
2. Persona 5Atlus released a trailer for Persona 5 at E3 2015. Unfortunately, it contains the exact footage found in a previous Japanese video. With that said, the game still looks excellent with the stylish visuals and new stealth-based exploration elements. The company also confirmed that, despite the lack of new information, the sequel is still slated to arrive for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 in North America sometime before the end of 2015.
1. Dark Souls IIIAlthough we were a little weary that Dark Souls III is coming out too soon after Bloodborne, the impressions of the behind-the-scenes demonstration has been overwhelming positive. Along with the improved visual fidelity, From Software also added some new combat abilities in addition to some other new elements that will surprise hardcore fans of the Bloodborne and Souls games. With Hidetaka Miyazaki directing the game, Dark Souls III looks like it will be another stellar installment in the series.
You can preorder the third main Dark Souls installment, which is expected to come out in early 2016, with this page.
As you can see above, JRPG fans have plenty to be excited about after E3 2015. Hopefully, we don’t have to wait too long to play some of the games mentioned above.